Have you cancelled these services & arranged for connection at your new address?
- Internet provider
- Subscription TV (Foxtel etc)
Have you notified your change of address to?
- The Electoral Registrar
- Your Bank
- The post office to redirect your mail
- Your Solicitor
- Newspaper, magazines and other subscriptions
- The Taxation Department
- Your Health Insurance Fund
- Department of Motor Transport for car registration, licences etc.
- Family Doctor
- Family Dentist
- Your library
Have you returned or collected?
- Your children’s school records
- Your family’s medical & dental records
- Dry cleaning
- Library books and cards
SOME HELPFUL MOVING TIPS:
- When packing boxes, pack heavier items on the bottom.
- Mark boxes containing fragile items in large easy to read letters “FRAGILE”. Remember to bubble wrap ALL fragile items.
- Stuff socks, scarves, pillow cases, tea towels and other small fabric items in holes and crevices in boxes.
- If you over-pack a box, you risk damage to the contents.
- Pack small items in small boxes and place them into a large box. Label all boxes, large or small.
- Small, loose items should be boxed or bagged and sealed securely before placing into a larger box.
- If moving liquid’s, either transfer them into a sealable container or make sure the lid is secured by taping it down, then put it into a waterproof bag, seal the bag then place it upright into a box.
- Clearly mark the boxes with arrows and “This End Up”.
- If possible, use the original boxes/packaging for televisions, computers, stereo equipment and other electronics. Boxed items travel much better.
- Make sure all boxes can close properly and be sealed so the tops are flat.
- Tape the bottom of all boxes to make certain they will hold your belongings. It is also recommended that the top of the boxes be taped shut to ensure that it will not open while being loaded, unloaded or while in transit.
- Fill extra free spots with lighter linens. This can be done with your washer and dryer and vegetable crisper in the refrigerator.
- Keep clothing in dresser drawers.
- As much as possible, keep items in their proper places. For example, when packing the silverware/flatware, keep it in its tray then tape bubble wrap around it to secure the contents. This is easier than sorting out all those pieces after your move.
- Tape screws, bolts and other loose items to underside of furniture. Make sure you bag them first.
- Keep tools you’ll need to reassemble furniture in a separate box that is clearly marked.
- Do not use standard garbage bags! They rip and tear too easily. If you’re going to pack linens and clothing in garbage bags, purchase the thicker, heavy ones to ensure they don’t burst during the move. Or double up.
- Keep items from the same room together as much as possible. This will make it easier to sort the contents after you move.
- Keep important records & valuables with you.
- Pot plants ~ prune plants to facilitate packing and do not water or leave in the rain for 3-4 days.